Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Things I've Learned


So, it was not over.  Friday night I came down with this gastro thing and two days later it was Dave's turn.  So now we are on the mend here for good.  Being sick like this left me with quite a lot to ponder.
Like, what are we going to eat?  I certainly didn't feel like making the meals I had planned out for us for the week.  And I noticed that our supply of bland starchy things grew tiresome fast.  I also read that you shouldn't necessarily eat bland since it provides little to no nutrients for recovery.    In Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation Sharon goes over food storage for emergency and I came to realize that being the mom of a recovered and hungry toddler means you cook whether you can stand up straight or not.  In my mind I saw the brilliance of homemade chicken soup in the freezer ready for "emergency" situations and then my mind goes blank.  What else should be in there?  I've never really thought about this stuff before now.  This type of thinking has not been cultured into me.  I am a go to the store, pick it up instantly kind of girl.  I want to be prepared (as any good Girl Guide would be, but I dropped out after one year) but how do I make this work for us?  I don't need to go out and buy tons of stuff and create a bomb shelter with its own solar panels yet, but I should have water stored, emergency medical info and enough food to get us through for at least 2 weeks.  Sharon actually recommends 3 months.  While I'm not sure how I'm going to integrate this information into our lives I am happy that I found this book and have read it.  I feel that just knowing about preparedness whether I am or not is going to help if anything actually hits the fan.
I'm not much for doomsday predictions or the like but it would be ignorant to assume that it can't happen to me.  I am not immune to a natural disaster or a systemic breakdown, just like I'm not immune to the flu.

1 comment:

Rue said...

So sorry to hear that you've been hit with another bug. I know what you mean about getting tired of bland food. I'm like you - not much in the way of preparation. Lucikly my mother who is always cooking and freezing soup is only 15 minutes away - a lifesaver!

Feel better soon!