Sunday, June 13, 2010

Politics and Spirit in Action


Today I worked an act of political and spiritual action.  You may remember my post detailing the House of Commons passing Bill C-311 and that it was moving to the Senate for approval.  Today I sent 52 emails to each and every Conservative and Independent senator with an email address.  I hope that this action will mean something to these men and women.  I did this for my son and all future Canadians and humans living on this planet.  I also did it for our mother, her soil, water, and air.  Now it is out of my hands, I have done what I can. 



This was a form letter sent to me by the NDP party.  I wrote the first, second and third paragraphs to personalize it more.


I write to you today as a mother, wife, daughter, citizen of Canada, and lover of this earth.  Climate Change is threatening the air we breathe, the soil that grows our food, the water that we drink and our ability to sustain life as we know it on this planet.

Like many Canadians, I have been watching with great interest the process of Bill C-311—the Climate Change Accountability Act. I was elated to see our federal parties work across party lines to pass this important bill in the House of Commons. I am writing to you to ask that you do the same.

Canadians agree that climate change is the defining challenge of our time. Without urgent action, the consequences for our children and grandchildren will be dire. That is why we all have a responsibility to act. The Climate Change Accountability Act is Canada’s best hope for science-based reductions to greenhouse gas emissions, as well as a mechanism to ensure these targets are met.

I respectfully encourage you and your Senate colleagues to pass Bill C-311 without delay. A majority of MPs representing a large majority of Canadians have shown the urgency of the situation by coming together and passing this bill. If we are going to put Canada back on track for a cleaner, greener future, the Senate must do the same. Canadians hope for nothing less.

This bill is not about politics it is about being a human being on this earth.  Canada has an opportunity to take the lead here and show the world that we believe in making the changes necessary to sustain life, and make a healthier future for the coming generations.

On behalf of my son I thank you for taking this important step towards a hopeful future.

No comments: