Friday, March 2, 2012

When it rains...

we go for a walk anyway.  At least that's what I decided today.  This week was a bit quieter for us and mama was starting to go stir crazy.  So despite the cold, wet and downright soggy conditions outside our door we loaded up with chips & some cheese, did some errands and headed to the trail. 






We had many companions on our journey on this dreary day: ducks, seagulls, pigeons, hardcore joggers, another mama with a sleeping stroller babe, some ladies with umbrellas, strange, hovering insects that looked like winter mosquitoes (!?!) and my favorites (other than the boys) lovely birds singing happily away. 
Rain, heck they love the stuff.  It was all happy birdsong out on the marsh by the lake today.  And something in their songs lifted my heart out of the marshy lowlands and into a rejuvenated spirit of it's good to be alive.  The cold does that to me.  It's something about the promise of warmth later that makes me enjoy the chill.


And then there is the beauty of nature.  The colours of spring emerging out of the west coast winter gray. 


Yellows and vibrant peachy pinks are in this spring, nature has a jump on the fashion trends.   And as for the birds I am making them a playlist.  Please leave a comment with your favorite bird song if one comes to mind and I'll share the playlist when I finish it off.  Have a great weekend.  

1 comment:

TMCPhoto said...

One of my favourite things about living here is that something is blooming all year long even if it's just a tiny heather blossom or the lovely snow drops.

There's nothing like getting out into nature to be reminded that winter is not all black white and grey.

My favourite birdsong (other than the rat tat tat of the local wood peckers) is the little cheeps of the chickadees. I think we're getting another nest in the stump on our front yard again this year.