Wednesday, February 8, 2012

laundress

Many complain about the mundane chores; dishes, vacuuming, dusting (don't even get me started) but when it comes to laundry, for me, there is a touch of a romantic notion.  It only just recently become clear to me when I was enjoying this view that maybe I would be looked at sideways by some for enjoying the look of a basket full of clean laundry.


My clothesline obsession has been hinted at here and there and has now found a resting place here.  The rudimentary aspects of the laundress, a la Kate Winslet in Quills (minus the insane asylum and unrequited love) appeal to my senses somehow.  Was I a coy laundress in a past life, walking through halls with a basket balanced on my hip and a tune in my head?  
Fancy laundry rooms or pretty washing machines aren't really what I'm going for here.  It is really an aesthetic.  Baskets, fabric,  piles....this is kind of a new revelation and fascination.  I'll have to see if it goes anywhere from here.
Perhaps I'm just finding a little bit of zen in this housekeeping world that many overlook.  Challenging the idea that it is mindless or drudgery.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can kind of relate. On one hand I am not fond of mundane chores, but on the other hand, once I am doing them, I do this weird thing where I pretend I am in another place and time, doing the same things. Usually a scullery maid in an old castle way back when or something. Strange, I know, but it helps sometimes lol..