Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Book of the Month: May


The journey into wellness that began this year is taking me/us into some mind expanding territory.  I have never before thought about food or my relationship to it in such a profound way.  One of the books that has taken me on this path is Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation by Sharon Astyk.  To be truthful I haven't finished this book yet but it is way more than just a guide.  Sharon's perspective is very much like a manifesto of living with purpose and responsibility on this earth.  Sharon blogs, farms and teaches others how to prepare for taking care of ourselves in this time of uncertainty when natural disasters and resource shortages are possiblities.  The style of writing that she used is not doomsdayesque though. Astyk is about empowerment, knowledge and action.  The message I've taken so far is: decide what is really important to you and your family and make it happen now.
As my relationship with food is changing I think it will be a more frequent topic here.  Perhaps a monthly feature around food will be added to the mix.
Some local mamas and I are gathering together this summer/fall to preserve food together.  This will be the first concentrated effort for most of us to really make use of our local produce all year round.  I may share some snippets here as things progress...or it may turn into something a bit bigger than the blog.  Time will tell about that but I'm really excited at the prospects it offers.  What are your plans for food conservation/growing this season?    

1 comment:

brandi said...

~nourishing traditions is an amazing book that takes you on a whole new perspective and eating and living! i have been slowly implemeting her wisdom into our daily ife...good luck on your new journey...warm wishes and brightest blessings~