Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mommy's Morning Off


Thursday was a day that I had been looking forward to for weeks. The Vancouver Public Library's Annual Book Sale. They do this once or twice a year and it is a book extravaganza. My mother-in-law was kind enough to watch my little one while I went downtown and perused the piles of books. I had to wait in line for 10 minutes or so and then voila, tables filled with books, loosely categorized and waiting for eager hands to read them.
I know some Moms love to shop for clothes, get a manicure or their hair done, sleep in a fancy hotel or have a gourmet meal as relaxation, but I'm just a simple girl. Give me a room filled with second hand books and the crazy low price of .55 cents per book (some getting up to $2.25ish if larger in scale) and I'm happy. Relaxed and happy.
My only limitation was how many I could carry home. I took public transit and so I couldn't fill a box as many people there did. But truth be told I only have so much space, so the 15 books that I purchased are more than enough to keep me reading for the next year (since my book shelves are already full of anxiously waiting ones)
Being a voracious reader is an integral part of my personality. It feeds my imagination, stirs my senses and lets my brain take a break from the frantic pace that it moves at. That morning was such a wonderful respite.
As for the books themselves here are a few titles:

- a Guy Gavriel Kay novel called: Sailing to Sarantium
- The Healing Garden: Natural Healing for Mind, Body and Soul by David Squire
- The Wishing Tree and other Toys, Games and Nature Crafts for Children by Pamela Allardice

Many Public libraries must have these sales. I would encourage you to check one out in your area. They are a great way to help the library out and keep your book collection fresh.

No comments: