Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sleep...we miss you...



This Thursday morning the true nature of our sleep deprivation became apparent to us.
Kyan decided to wake up at 6am. (He sleeps with us through most of the night as he sleeps better and longer that way) The alarm was going off to wake Dave my husband for work. For the third time he reached out to hit the snooze button. His sleep confusion was so that he reached out and touched my head. And I through a groggy laughter directed him the opposite way to his alarm clock. We used to love sleep. It was refreshing. Now it is a necessity but is too often fleeting. I remember during my pregnancy, I kept reminding myself to enjoy those last few months of rest. I don't think I could have ever understood the impact lack of sleep has on you.
Most of the time it is not so amusing though. So while we miss our sleep immensely, we wouldn't change a thing. And at least the universe gives us these funny little moments to get us through. I think whoever coined the term "I'll sleep when I'm dead" may have been a rock star, but really was speaking to parents. Hang in there y'all.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I hear you about the lack of sleep! As a parent of 2 girls, one who was an excellent sleeper 12 hours from the age of 3 months, and one who just started to sleep 11 hours at the age of 11 months, I know all to well the meaning of sleep deprivation! I can tell you from experience that it DOES get better with time and patience!

And all Mom's need to be reminded that they are doing a GREAT job!!!!
Keep up the good work

Jen said...

Absolutely!
Thanks for reading Andrea.