Monday, October 18, 2010

Book of the Month: October


 During this time of year I like to stay present with the call of the seasons. Life and death show themselves and whether in whispers or shouts talks to most of us somehow. With that in mind I chose The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom by Juliette Wood to share this month.  This book is full of lovely illustrations and overviews of Celtic culture.  I often look through it for inspiration since Celtic art is so rich in detail and meaning.  Wood explores the key themes of Celtic belief ranging from courage, fertility, and prophecy to destiny and the afterlife.  She explains the fascination Celts had with the endless knot and its way to express infinity in a tangible pattern.  There is a section on talismans and of course one about the wisdom of the seasons.

I look to books like this to help me gain perspective on my path in a time when many of us search for our place in a fast paced world.  It makes me feel connected to something deeper and older than most of the customs I encounter day-to-day in North America.   

No comments: